Do The Falcons Have The Best Defense In The Nfc South?

- - - - -

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
52 replies to this topic

#1 FalconFanSince1970

FalconFanSince1970

Pro Bowler

• Pure Football
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 22,330 posts

Posted 10 November 2011 - 04:44 PM

I think so.

The Falcons are ranked higher than any NFC South defense in:

Points Allowed
Total Yards Allowed
Interceptions
Total Takeaways
Yards Allowed Per Play
First Downs Allowed Per Game
Rush Yards Allowed Per Game
Rush TDs Allowed
Rush Yards Allowed Per Carry
20+ Yard Rushes Allowed
40+ Yard Rushes Allowed
Pass TDs Allowed

They are ranked in the top 10 in the bolded categories, as well as in forced fumbles and fumble recoveries..

And that's after playing a few high powered offenses like GB, DET and CAR.

The last few weeks the defense has really been solid. Even against Rodgers.

I think the Aints will be surprised when they see this defense. It's the best of this regime's in my opinion.

What do you think?

#2 Serge

Serge

Veteran Falcon

• Forum Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,560 posts

Posted 10 November 2011 - 04:47 PM

I'd take it over the other teams in the NFC South but that's not saying much right now.

#3 Laugher

Laugher

Starting Lineup

• Forum Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,486 posts

Posted 10 November 2011 - 04:48 PM

I think at the end of the season will determine who has the better defense.

#4 I Even Bleed Red

I Even Bleed Red

Starting Lineup

• Forum Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,107 posts

Posted 10 November 2011 - 04:49 PM

I am starting to have my faith in this defense and BVG. However, before I blindly put in all my faith, I will first like to see how they respond to the Saints' offense before completely making up my mind.

#5 I Even Bleed Red

I Even Bleed Red

Starting Lineup

• Forum Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,107 posts

Posted 10 November 2011 - 04:50 PM

We definitely need to sure up the pass defense, though. And that's what the Saints are known for.

Edited by I Even Bleed Red, 10 November 2011 - 09:51 PM.

#6 ltstorm2

ltstorm2

Veteran Falcon

• Forum Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,047 posts

Posted 10 November 2011 - 04:51 PM

All we have to do is get off the field on 3rd down with more consitancy and we'll not only have the best defense in the NFC south, we'll have one of the better defenses in the NFL.

#7 mattyicefalcon

mattyicefalcon

Starting Lineup

• Forum Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3,430 posts

Posted 10 November 2011 - 04:54 PM

are we the best defense in the league?

NO!

#8 JOEinPHX

JOEinPHX

Starting Lineup

• Forum Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3,447 posts

Posted 10 November 2011 - 04:58 PM

It's important to note that the defense isn't being backstopped by the offense the way it was in 2010.  Those extended, clock-killing drives that characterized the 2010 season just aren't happening this year.  The defense suffered early in this season because of it, but they've rallied nicely.  If you're keeping track of 'hot seat' points, I'd say Mularkey has definitely forged ahead of VanGorder, although a three-game win streak has cooled that situation considerably..

#9 kane#7

kane#7

Veteran Falcon

• Pure Football
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,390 posts

Posted 10 November 2011 - 04:59 PM

So we are the tallest midget?

#10 norbendon

norbendon

Starting Lineup

• Forum Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,780 posts

Posted 10 November 2011 - 05:03 PM

Defense wins championships.  It will be beautiful on Sunday when this defense shows how meaningless all the aints offensive statistics really are.

#11 Kung-Pow

Kung-Pow

Roster Player

• Forum Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 502 posts

Posted 10 November 2011 - 05:13 PM

This defense is still getting better. We're still not looking at the finished product, so that's encouraging. But I like what I've seen thus far. As one poster said above, they've still got to get better at getting off the field on third down and you'd still like to see an improved pass rush, but they're doing ok.

They're a team that flies around the football and are often in place to make plays on the football. They'd have a few more turnovers if they could simply hang on to it. But definitely the best defensive unit in the South, and in the top half of the League.

#12 blackredfellow

blackredfellow

Starting Lineup

• Forum Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3,037 posts

Posted 10 November 2011 - 05:15 PM

At this point, yes. If we continue to look the way we have the past few games, we can start to consider it one of the best. Period.

#13 DavyDmx

DavyDmx

Starting Lineup

• Forum Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,297 posts

Posted 10 November 2011 - 05:53 PM

27 straight games with at least one turnover caused, Improved getting opposing offenses off the field on 3rd downs, and 3 potential Pro Bowl selections (Lofton, Spoon, DeCoud  and possibly a fourth in Peters if he can keep racking up the sacks). I would say yes as well but, we will get a tough test from The Aint's this Sunday (I see us winning 28-17).

#14 bolden_fan1

bolden_fan1

Roster Player

• Forum Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 271 posts

Posted 10 November 2011 - 06:04 PM

View PostDavyDmx, on 10 November 2011 - 05:53 PM, said:

27 straight games with at least one turnover caused, Improved getting opposing offenses off the field on 3rd downs, and 3 potential Pro Bowl selections (Lofton, Spoon, DeCoud  and possibly a fourth in Peters if he can keep racking up the sacks). I would say yes as well but, we will get a tough test from The Aint's this Sunday (I see us winning 28-17).

DeCoud as a pro-bowler but not Grimes?? c'mon now...Babineaux and Abe are both far and away better candidates than DeCoud as well. In fact, i'd put the other ten starters over TD28, considering he's our free safety and the one thing that still seems to be bothering us in this defensive turnaround is the occasional blown coverage on long bombs, which is more often the fault of the free safety than anyone else

#15 blackredfellow

blackredfellow

Starting Lineup

• Forum Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3,037 posts

Posted 10 November 2011 - 08:14 PM

View Postbolden_fan1, on 10 November 2011 - 06:04 PM, said:

DeCoud as a pro-bowler but not Grimes?? c'mon now...Babineaux and Abe are both far and away better candidates than DeCoud as well. In fact, i'd put the other ten starters over TD28, considering he's our free safety and the one thing that still seems to be bothering us in this defensive turnaround is the occasional blown coverage on long bombs, which is more often the fault of the free safety than anyone else
I dont think we see any defensive players in the Pro Bowl. Spoon has a long shot, but no one knows him outside of ATL (yet). Like Davy said, if CP keeps racking up sacks, he may have a slim shot.

#16 Guest_JoeSr_*

Guest_JoeSr_*
  • Anonymous / Guest

Posted 10 November 2011 - 11:19 PM

Fans are not happy unless we have the best defense in the league. We have never had the worst defense in the league. Under this regime, we have always been middle grade. Finally, we seem to have turned a corner. Our pass defense is not as bad as fans make it out to be. As soon as a QB completes a pass for 12 yards, this board gets stupid and ready to fire and cut everybody. Chill the phuck out! Half of the teams in the league have a defense worst than ours. You think the Ravens and Steelers got their defenses that way overnight?

Me? I am happy with the got **** defense. They are the ones that kept us in games in 2009 and 2010. People got so hooked on Ryan and the offense that they forgot about that.

#17 Guest_JoeSr_*

Guest_JoeSr_*
  • Anonymous / Guest

Posted 10 November 2011 - 11:22 PM

Im so muthaphuckin tired of hearing about our defense when the offense is the weakest link of this football team. The defense and even STs have improved immensely while the offense is stuck on stupid to the point that our fans get so happy and giddy over one of our WRs having a 100 yard game; which should be expected by now; especially with the expectations going into this season.

#18 Miller2Rison

Miller2Rison

Starting Lineup

• Forum Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4,672 posts

Posted 10 November 2011 - 11:26 PM

View Postkane#7, on 10 November 2011 - 04:59 PM, said:

So we are the tallest midget?

lmao

#19 Guest_JoeSr_*

Guest_JoeSr_*
  • Anonymous / Guest

Posted 10 November 2011 - 11:26 PM

It wouldn't be so bad if people didn't hype up our offense.  Phuck the defense. I want to see what the offense will do when the defense gives them opportunity after opportunity to capitalize. Will we see the inconsistent Falcons offense with the four consecutive three and outs, or will we see what we saw against the Colts?

#20 Mr. 0-2 aka Top Ramen

Mr. 0-2 aka Top Ramen

Starting Lineup

• Forum Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3,352 posts

Posted 10 November 2011 - 11:30 PM

View PostJoeSr, on 10 November 2011 - 11:22 PM, said:

Im so muthaphuckin tired of hearing about our defense when the offense is the weakest link of this football team. The defense and even STs have improved immensely while the offense is stuck on stupid to the point that our fans get so happy and giddy over one of our WRs having a 100 yard game; which should be expected by now; especially with the expectations going into this season.
AMEN!!!!!!!!!! Not to mention the plethora of elite talent. What position would we have drafted this year that would have replaced anyone on our offense? Nobody besides julio. Thats it. Nobody else we would have drafted would have taken a spot unless it was cam newton or andy dalton. That tells me this offense is 1 player away from elitism. We are only as strong as our weakest link.