TXDawg

Georgia (UGA) related News

12,115 posts in this topic

Wilkerson was one of Tyreke Johnson's "connections" to UGA, though the other was LeCounte... but I guess something to be aware of at least.

38 minutes ago, Carter said:

Yeah, one and the same. He said it wasn't about the game and supposedly it got squashed anyway, so that particular tidbit died a quick death. He's transferring as a business decision... he has had some injury issues and I think he has played in all of like 16 games or so in 4 years at UGA. He said it has been the best 4 years of his life and he is leaving with no bad feelings, it's just a business decision.

Guessing he expects he can get more playing time elsewhere (likely Mississippi State imo unless UGA blocks them, which would just look bad coming off a year in which we fought hard to get Maurice Smith from Bama) and have a better shot at getting to the league. Can't say I blame him.

:tiphat:

8 hours ago, SacFalcFan said:

oh yeah we will have a few more transfers.. that is just usual attrition. 

If we had two spots open after the transfers and you give goggles one of the scholarships... Do you...

1. Give a walk-on a scholarship
2. Recruit a grad transfer at QB to hopefully guarantee that Fromm redshirts

#2 may be difficult as a QB good enough to ensure Fromm redshirts would probably want to transfer to a school where they could start...

IMAC verifies what i and others said about why he decided to leave early for the nfl.. he had an academic issue and would have had to appeal to get have a chance to come back to school.  

Stupid me put 2 posts in the wrong thread....

GA pro day (from Jake Rowe)

the good

Reggie Davis ran a 4.31 and 4.33

Catalina vertical 31"

Mauger vertical 37.5"

the not so good

Mo timed 4.72

Chuks 4.83

Pyke vertical 20"

O'Neal vertical 25"

On 3/15/2017 at 2:41 PM, 95Dawg said:

Stupid me put 2 posts in the wrong thread....

GA pro day (from Jake Rowe)

the good

Reggie Davis ran a 4.31 and 4.33

Catalina vertical 31"

Mauger vertical 37.5"

the not so good

Mo timed 4.72

Chuks 4.83

Pyke vertical 20"

O'Neal vertical 25"

You just made my evening. I didn't realize that Catalina was gone. That is fantastic news. He was the worst offensive lineman that I have ever seen play for UGA (at least worst that I can remember). He whiffed or was driven back into Eason nearly every play. I spent half of each game yelling at him. For a guy that large, he played like he was half his size. I hate to be like that, but I couldn't bear watching him fail for another season. 

Catalina was a grad transfer with only one year of eligibility... he was always going to be gone after 16. Not saying you *should* have known that or anything, just that it wasn't an "optional" situation for him.

I will say I don't get the hate for him specifically. Be mad at Richt and the previous staff that let us get to that point... sure. Be mad that we didn't land EJ Price in the 2016 recruiting class (if you want... but my thought is we are better off for it). But it's not like Kirby and Pittman thought... "hmm. we should put someone at LT who really can't handle the job, even though there are guys on the roster that are better." The reality is that if there was someone who could have done the job better consistently, they likely wouldn't have been playing Catalina there... The alternative to Catalina just wasn't really any better (see: Wynn at end of season)...

We've still got *huge* question marks on the offensive line this year. Both tackle spots and center are essentially up for grabs. That is terrifying. Pittman is going to have to be the **** OL whisperer, because by **** we recruited some kids this year at OL... that haul was impressive... But at least one of them is going to have to be ready to play, and conceivably two. And all of that could still be for naught if Chaney doesn't have his head removed from his arse this year and stop running up the gut into stacked boxes...

I feel great about what our defense can be this year... even still lot of "potential" talk there rather than sure thing as Carter has yet to hit his ceiling (or his ceiling is just way lower than most actually expect) and we'll have some questions as to how the DB positions are going to shake out. Seems like mostly good news recently on the TT situation, but certainly not in the clear there just yet.

Ultimately, a lot of questions across the board for this season, but OL has to be figured out, and quickly.

3 hours ago, SacFalcFan said:

this is a great picture.. lol 

I'm ashamed he's our AD like Adams being president before him. Gosh they've made some horrible hires. Hopefully with Jere and Kirby the tide is turning but this AD, Fox and Stricklin need to go. 

On 3/20/2017 at 0:46 PM, fibonaccisquared said:

I will say I don't get the hate for him specifically. Be mad at Richt and the previous staff that let us get to that point... sure. Be mad that we didn't land EJ Price in the 2016 recruiting class (if you want... but my thought is we are better off for it). But it's not like Kirby and Pittman thought... "hmm. we should put someone at LT who really can't handle the job, even though there are guys on the roster that are better." The reality is that if there was someone who could have done the job better consistently, they likely wouldn't have been playing Catalina there... The alternative to Catalina just wasn't really any better (see: Wynn at end of season)..

I usually try not to harp on players, but it seemed like every time there was a busted play, he was at least partly responsible for it. I do not keep up with the names of O-linemen in college typically. If I know their names, then they are either a junior/senior, or they are constantly losing battles.

I thought that he was a freshman/sophmore because I hadn't heard his name before last year. He certainly wasn't the only problem, but among the cast of misfits that formed that O-line he stood out in a big way. I've been watching UGA play since the mid to late 80's, and cannot remember remember a single lineman that stood out quite as negatively as he did.

IMO, he was way too large to get pushed around like he did. I won't even put all of the blame on him. The coaching staff certainly deserves some blame, as well. I'm not even sure if Chaney knows what system he runs. That couldn't have helped. I'm praying that the line at least plays better than last year. Eason was being pressured as he was dropping back half of the time. I'd love to see what he could do if he had time to drop back, make a few progressions, and then step into his throws. 

That's just what I saw, though. I could just have selective memory, but it happened enough that I knew his name like I knew Chubb's by the 3rd game. I do not know any of the other linemen's names that were on the team last year, nor for this upcoming season. 

This right here.  IF Jaocb is now the GUY, LEADER and ALPHA with a suitable OL then baby just maybe we got something...

From Jake Rowe:

There are higher expectations for Georgia in year two under Kirby Smart and a big reason for that is the fact that the Bulldogs return the guy who started 12 of 13 games for them at quarterback a year ago, Jacob Eason.

Ideally the 6-foot-5, 235-pound gunslinger will have a much better grasp of the offense and will be accustomed to the speed of the game much better in the second season. UGA's offense will also need him to be much more of a leader.

Bulldog fans will be happy to hear that teammates have already noticed a difference in that last part.

“He’s speaking up a lot more. He’s always had great things to say but he’s finally getting us on the same page as him," senior tight end Jeb Blazevich said. "We’ll go out there and do seven-on-seven on our own, so it’s always hectic to be there. But he’s always the one who gets guys going and starts everything off."

That's potentially a difference-making change for the Bulldogs. Blazevich told Dawgs247 on Wednesday that the Bulldogs, more often than not, were stuck with the play they called in the huddle for most of last season. He blamed the limitations on the entire offense and never singled the young quarterback out, but it stands to reason that a large part of it was Eason being in his first season.

Now instead of just trying to keep his head above water, Eason is able to grow in his position while taking the time and process the things around him, helping the other 10 players on the offense.

"He’s not afraid to bark at guys when he needs to," Blazevich said. "It’s great to see him come out of his shell and emerge as more of a vocal leader.”

But being a little bigger and bolder in the huddle may or may not actually win Georgia any games. It will help but execution on the field will also be key.

According to Sony Michel, Eason's growth as a leader is a direct result of his gained understanding of the offense.

"He’s going to go out there and hope to learn more and do more," Michel said. "I think that’ll help this team a lot because then he (not just) focus on learning the system. He can lead while learning."

fibonaccisquared likes this