William Andrews

- - - - -

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
18 replies to this topic

#1 ATL Doc

ATL Doc

Roster Player

• Forum Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 751 posts

Posted 27 August 2009 - 03:01 PM

Why can't I find highlight footage for William Andrews? I told my nephew he was one of the best in the NFL and the best Falcons' running back. Erick Dickerson was great but his career was on the decline when he came to the Falcons. William was a beast in a Falcons uniform. I was looking for him on U-tube then the internet and I was annoyed I couldn't find many highlights of him. He was awesome! anyone know where I can find his highlights?

#2 iDash

iDash

Die-Hard

• Pure Football
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,604 posts

Posted 27 August 2009 - 03:55 PM

Mc D's

#3 auhansel

auhansel

Practice Squad

• Forum Members
  • Pip
  • 47 posts

Posted 27 August 2009 - 04:17 PM

I wasn't around for him, but he is an Auburn boy, so he's one of my favorites.

I do think Riggs was very underrated.

#4 Lowndesfalc

Lowndesfalc

Starting Lineup

• Pure Football
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,072 posts

Posted 27 August 2009 - 04:43 PM

I didn't find any either Bro. I always loved watching him play though. You can still ask Ronny Lott who hit him the hardest in his career and he will say it was William Andrews. He absolutely trucked Lott when he was a rookie. :lol:

#5 since68andcounting

since68andcounting

Starting Lineup

• Forum Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,645 posts

Posted 27 August 2009 - 04:58 PM

William truly was the best all purpose back we ever had. Better than Riggs...better than Jamal over the whole career. No telling what he'd have done had he not blown out the knee. Not only was William great between the tackles but a beast on the swing pass out of the backfield. They showed the Falcons' NFL film 198(?) season highlights on NFL network a year or so ago and I saw the play where William absolutely ran over Ronnie Lott on a swing pass.

We used to sit on the hill during camp back in the 70's-80's at Suwanee. I remember William's rookie year. This was back in the day when teams went live full contact scrimmage for the majority of practice. We kept seeing this #31 and #21 (Lynn Cain) running over, around, and past everyone. We were like...."who is this 31 guy???" Literally EVERY time William touched the ball he scored. Nobody could bring him down. Then when the season started it was pretty much the same thing.

#6 Lowndesfalc

Lowndesfalc

Starting Lineup

• Pure Football
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,072 posts

Posted 27 August 2009 - 05:00 PM

I remember during the 1980 season, John Madden said that if he were starting a team at that time he would start with William Andrews. That was high praise at the time.

#7 jonnyblooz

jonnyblooz

Section 317 Row 1

• Pure Football
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,393 posts

Posted 27 August 2009 - 05:33 PM

That video brings a tear to my eyes. In more ways than one.

#8 deester11

deester11

Roster Player

• Forum Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 801 posts

Posted 27 August 2009 - 07:08 PM

View Postjonnyblooz, on Aug 27 2009, 05:33 PM, said:

That video brings a tear to my eyes. In more ways than one.
I was about 6 and I think I cried like a little biyaatchie! I remember the losing, but some of those Falcon teams were fun to watch! And William Andrews was definitely at the top of the backs Atlanta ever had. If he hadn't hurt his knee....no telling what happens!

#9 muskokas finest

muskokas finest

AFMB Hall of Fame

• Pure Football
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 29,786 posts

Posted 27 August 2009 - 08:42 PM

He was the best...could do it all

#10 william-andrews

william-andrews

Practice Squad

• Pure Football
  • Pip
  • 20 posts

Posted 27 August 2009 - 08:48 PM

well thank you ,thank you very much! :D

#11 Jesus

Jesus

Starting Lineup

• Forum Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4,464 posts

Posted 27 August 2009 - 08:50 PM

Too bad his knees didn't hold out, though.  

Look at his stats.  4.6 career yards/carry.  If only he could have stayed healthy over those last few years he would have put up some amazing numbers and retired as one of the best to ever play.

Madden called him out during the 98 championship game.  Andrews was on the sideline, fat and round, Madden said something like "In his day he was about as hard to take down as anyone...look at him he would probably still be hard to take down."

#12 FalconFanSince1970

FalconFanSince1970

Pro Bowler

• Pure Football
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 22,287 posts

Posted 27 August 2009 - 09:38 PM

View PostATL Doc, on Aug 27 2009, 03:01 PM, said:

Why can't I find highlight footage for William Andrews? I told my nephew he was one of the best in the NFL and the best Falcons' running back. Erick Dickerson was great but his career was on the decline when he came to the Falcons. William was a beast in a Falcons uniform. I was looking for him on U-tube then the internet and I was annoyed I couldn't find many highlights of him. He was awesome! anyone know where I can find his highlights?
Tell your nephew that FFS1970 has seen every Falcon back. Harmon Wages, Art Malone, Bubba Bean, Lynn Cain, Mike Rozier, Ironhead Heyward, Riggs, Jam, Dunn, The Burner and William Andrews and I mean no one was better than WA31. 1300 rush yards, 700 receiving yards, 80 receptions, 12 TDs, 5 truck rolls, plus block for another 1000 yard back? You gotta be freakin kidding me. Incredible.

#13 Xnex

Xnex

Veteran Falcon

• Pure Football
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,467 posts

Posted 27 August 2009 - 10:28 PM

WIlliam is probably my favorite Falcon of all time. I just loved how he played the game and how he attacked the defenders when he had the ball.

#14 egoprime II

egoprime II

Starting Lineup

• Forum Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3,472 posts

Posted 27 August 2009 - 11:29 PM

William Andrews was a third round pick for Atlanta in I think it was 1978.....the Falcons actually picked RB James Mayberry in the third round before they picked Andrews.  Lynn Cain was the Falcons fourth round pick that year.  

Andrews was actually considered a blocking back, he blocked for Joe Cribbs and James Brooks out of Auburn.  But the Falcons coaches saw what Andrews had to offer as a feature back, and they simply could not see the guy being a blocking FB.  First game against the Saints, the Falcons and Saints put on an offensive exhibition, both teams racking up huge yards passing and running.  Andrew ran for I believe 152 yards on the ground, which would have been a rookie record except OJ Anderson of the Cardinals (later of the NY Giants Super Bowl team) ran for more that day, I dont recall how many yards he ran for.....  That 152 yards was Andrews highest rushing total of his career.

Andrews made his living on draws and between the tackles plays.  Steve Bartkowski became a Pro Bowler dumping the ball off to Andrews and Cain for six and seven yard gains.  Andrews had great hands, and could block really well...the only thing he lacked was breakaway speed.  Jack Lambert said that next to Earl Campbell, William Andrews was the hardest back in the NFL he ever had to tackle, the guy was all shoulder pads and knees and just tough to bring down.

One thing I wished I could have seen more of:  Andrews and Gerald Riggs playing together in the same backfied.  The coaches used Riggs as a short yardage back, he also spelled Andrews from time to time.  For me Riggs and Andrews are tied for the best back the Falcons have ever had.

But watch out, here comes Turner....

#15 delaigle

delaigle

delaigle

• Pure Football
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,458 posts

Posted 28 August 2009 - 08:20 AM

View PostFalconFanSince1970, on Aug 28 2009, 02:38 AM, said:

Tell your nephew that FFS1970 has seen every Falcon back. Harmon Wages, Art Malone, Bubba Bean, Lynn Cain, Mike Rozier, Ironhead Heyward, Riggs, Jam, Dunn, The Burner and William Andrews and I mean no one was better than WA31. 1300 rush yards, 700 receiving yards, 80 receptions, 12 TDs, 5 truck rolls, plus block for another 1000 yard back? You gotta be freakin kidding me. Incredible.

How did you miss Junior Coffey and Cannonball Butler?
Dave Hampton ?

#16 Andre5000

Andre5000

Veteran Falcon

• Pure Football
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,309 posts

Posted 28 August 2009 - 08:29 AM

View PostiDash, on Aug 27 2009, 03:55 PM, said:

:( :( :(     we were ahead 10-0 after the Bart bomb to Jenkins.....   I thought we were gonna win..

#17 Andre5000

Andre5000

Veteran Falcon

• Pure Football
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,309 posts

Posted 28 August 2009 - 08:33 AM

View Postegoprime II, on Aug 27 2009, 11:29 PM, said:

William Andrews was a third round pick for Atlanta in I think it was 1978.....the Falcons actually picked RB James Mayberry in the third round before they picked Andrews.  Lynn Cain was the Falcons fourth round pick that year.  

Andrews was actually considered a blocking back, he blocked for Joe Cribbs and James Brooks out of Auburn.  But the Falcons coaches saw what Andrews had to offer as a feature back, and they simply could not see the guy being a blocking FB.  First game against the Saints, the Falcons and Saints put on an offensive exhibition, both teams racking up huge yards passing and running.  Andrew ran for I believe 152 yards on the ground, which would have been a rookie record except OJ Anderson of the Cardinals (later of the NY Giants Super Bowl team) ran for more that day, I dont recall how many yards he ran for.....  That 152 yards was Andrews highest rushing total of his career.

Andrews made his living on draws and between the tackles plays.  Steve Bartkowski became a Pro Bowler dumping the ball off to Andrews and Cain for six and seven yard gains.  Andrews had great hands, and could block really well...the only thing he lacked was breakaway speed.  Jack Lambert said that next to Earl Campbell, William Andrews was the hardest back in the NFL he ever had to tackle, the guy was all shoulder pads and knees and just tough to bring down.

One thing I wished I could have seen more of:  Andrews and Gerald Riggs playing together in the same backfied.  The coaches used Riggs as a short yardage back, he also spelled Andrews from time to time.  For me Riggs and Andrews are tied for the best back the Falcons have ever had.

But watch out, here comes Turner....

I'll never forget Andrews running over and through opposing players on defense. I think he blew Ronnie Lott up once and the most famous one was vs Denvers safety, cant remember his name.

#18 JayOzOne

JayOzOne

Veteran Falcon

• Pure Football
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,630 posts

Posted 28 August 2009 - 08:51 AM

I used to love watching Andrews play.  It seemed like he got his average on every play.  He almost always moved the pile, but he could also find the hole for positive gains.  He gave us a chance against everybody.  He was easily the most exciting back I've ever seen who could not be described as a "breakaway" runner.  

I'll never forget the "showdown" between him and Terdell Middleton in the playoffs.  It wasn't the most exciting game but we won and the Iggles had a typically difficult time stopping him.  When he later tore up the knee, it blew my mind because I knew we could not replace his dynamic on the team.  It was as bad, or worse, than Jam's injury.

#19 vafalconfan

vafalconfan

Veteran Falcon

• Pure Football
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,206 posts

Posted 28 August 2009 - 09:50 AM

View PostiDash, on Aug 27 2009, 08:55 PM, said:

Man that 1980 game broke my heart.. And all of these youngsters that missed Andrews, Cain, Jenkins, Bartkowski do not know how good they were.