Matt Ryan will improve our oline unlike our past couple of QBS

- - - - -

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
101 replies to this topic

#1 swiftkick

swiftkick

Starting Lineup

• Banned Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,565 posts

Posted 22 June 2008 - 01:52 PM

He  has the football smarts  to get the ball out of his hand and read the defense. This is something  Michael Vick did  not  comprehend  and    the same with Harrington and  the wind up motion of Bryon Leftwich . These incable QBS lead to  numerous unwanted sacks.  I always said a  great QB   who understands the game makes his oline better . Of course our oline needs work but having a QB like Ryan who from everyone says has all the intagaibles and the work ethic  will only improve our oline . I bet  when we see him play our sacks will drop  drastically . He might go through his rookie struggles but holding onto the ball is not one of them

#2 j105

j105

Roster Player

• Forum Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 891 posts

Posted 22 June 2008 - 02:00 PM

Erm...if you say so. If anything improves our o-line it will be Coaching and personnel, not Ryan sir.

#3 swiftkick

swiftkick

Starting Lineup

• Banned Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,565 posts

Posted 22 June 2008 - 02:04 PM

j105 (6/22/2008)
Erm...if you say so. If anything improves our o-line it will be Coaching and personnel, not Ryan sir.

dont think so we had a oline guru in here at one time Alex Gibbs   ..Its really not about coach  .
Coaching  can only take you so far

#4 j105

j105

Roster Player

• Forum Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 891 posts

Posted 22 June 2008 - 02:08 PM

swiftkick (6/22/2008)

j105 (6/22/2008)

dont think so we had a oline guru in here at one time Alex Gibbs   ..Its really not about coach  .

If thats the case then why was Vick getting knocked down every second? Now Joey and Byron are different stories, they both would hold on to the ball for ages, but the fact is that are line has been pretty pathetic so far. To suggest that a new unproven qb could make it better is a very slim possibility.

But hey, heres to hoping im proved wrong.

#5 ATLBrave12

ATLBrave12

Starting Lineup

• Banned Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,369 posts

Posted 22 June 2008 - 02:10 PM

swiftkick (6/22/2008)

j105 (6/22/2008)

We had a scheme guru, not an oline guru. Make Gibbs run any other type of Offensive line scheme, and he would just be another failed assistant.

#6 swiftkick

swiftkick

Starting Lineup

• Banned Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,565 posts

Posted 22 June 2008 - 02:14 PM

j105 (6/22/2008)

swiftkick (6/22/2008)

j105 (6/22/2008)

If thats the case then why was Vick getting knocked down every second? Now Joey and Byron are different stories, they both would hold on to the ball for ages, but the fact is that are line has been pretty pathetic so far. To suggest that a new unproven qb could make it better is a very slim possibility.

But hey, heres to hoping im proved wrong.

Vick was also guilty of holding onto the ball to long plus we all know Vick never grasped a offense ..I am almost certin if all we all hearing about Ryan is true our oline would drastically improve

#7 Ryan Supporter

Ryan Supporter

Practice Squad

• Forum Members
  • Pip
  • 14 posts

Posted 22 June 2008 - 02:36 PM

Vick was our OL's worst nightmare and biggest liability.

#8 memphisj

memphisj

Practice Squad

• Forum Members
  • Pip
  • 17 posts

Posted 22 June 2008 - 02:40 PM

i agree ryan is going to have the smarts to get rid of the ball, and like

u say it will make the line look a lit better as far as sack

Good post to discuss finally

#9 hotwings7

hotwings7

Practice Squad

• Forum Members
  • Pip
  • 13 posts

Posted 22 June 2008 - 02:52 PM

... Or, he could throw alot of interceptions early in his career and thus be so affraid of turning the ball over that he gets gunshy and holds on to the ball too long and gets sacked. It really depends on whether Ryan has the mental toughness to overcome his early struggles.

#10 takeitdown

takeitdown

Starting Lineup

• Pure Football
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,697 posts

Posted 22 June 2008 - 02:52 PM

swiftkick (6/22/2008)
He  has the football smarts  to get the ball out of his hand and read the defense. This is something  Michael Vick did  not  comprehend  and    the same with Harrington and  the wind up motion of Bryon Leftwich . These incable QBS lead to  numerous unwanted sacks.  I always said a  great QB   who understands the game makes his oline better . Of course our oline needs work but having a QB like Ryan who from everyone says has all the intagaibles and the work ethic  will only improve our oline . I bet  when we see him play our sacks will drop  drastically . He might go through his rookie struggles but holding onto the ball is not one of them

The thing you don't seem to keep in mind is that to throw the ball quickly, you have to have guys open quickly.  Last year is the first year we've had that in a long time (due to scheme and talent).  If Roddy keeps up like last year and Robinson/Welker get open quickly AND we have a "get open quick" scheme, it will be possible.

If you have Jenkins and Dez White, there's no throwing quickly.

My only point to this is, it requires a QB AND receivers who get open quickly to cause a quick release (otherwise INT numbers are gigantic)

I hope it all comes together like that now.

#11 swiftkick

swiftkick

Starting Lineup

• Banned Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,565 posts

Posted 22 June 2008 - 03:20 PM

hotwings7 (6/22/2008)
... Or, he could throw alot of interceptions early in his career and thus be so affraid of turning the ball over that he gets gunshy and holds on to the ball too long and gets sacked. It really depends on whether Ryan has the mental toughness to overcome his early struggles.

that is a good possibility

#12 Hokies&Falcons

Hokies&Falcons

Starting Lineup

• Pure Football
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,119 posts

Posted 22 June 2008 - 05:46 PM

swiftkick (6/22/2008)

Ummm Michael Vick made our offensive line look so much better than they ever were.  They led the league in rushing for several seasons in a row, and Vick avoided a lot more sacks than he ever took.  They were considered a great run blocking unit, and average as pass protectors.  They became horrendous pass blockers(possibly the worst in the league), and well below average run blockers when Vick was lost due to his lack of judgment...

Come on Swifty, I know that you are trolling here and trying to upset people who still support Vick, but you're only making yourself look stupid.  When you create threads like this it shows that you have a very low football IQ...

Let it go man.  It's okay to be wrong about a football player.  At some point you just have to accept that the world isn't really flat, and just move on...

#13 Ryan Supporter

Ryan Supporter

Practice Squad

• Forum Members
  • Pip
  • 14 posts

Posted 22 June 2008 - 05:53 PM

Hokies&Falcons (6/22/2008)

swiftkick (6/22/2008)

Ummm Michael Vick made our offensive line look so much better than they ever were.  They led the league in rushing for several seasons in a row, and Vick avoided a lot more sacks than he ever took.  They were considered a great run blocking unit, and average as pass protectors.  They became horrendous pass blockers(possibly the worst in the league), and well below average run blockers when Vick was lost due to his lack of judgment...

Come on Swifty, I know that you are trolling here and trying to upset people who still support Vick, but you're only making yourself look stupid.  When you create threads like this it shows that you have a very low football IQ...

Let it go man.  It's okay to be wrong about a football player.  At some point you just have to accept that the world isn't really flat, and just move on...

nah dude, you are the low football iq queen.

#14 bossFALCON™

bossFALCON™

^^^this man will be a BEAST in the pros^^^

• Pure Football
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 22,336 posts

Posted 22 June 2008 - 05:54 PM

Hokies&Falcons (6/22/2008)

swiftkick (6/22/2008)

vick avoided sacks, but some of them were his fault. trying to run when there was nowhere to run and holding the ball too long. like barry sanders, he broke runs and made the line look great but sometimes all that back and forth, back and forth, screwed him up and resulted in a loss. the same thing happened to vick. he would pull great runs out of nothing sometimes and sometimes he would go back and forth, back and forth, eyes not looking down the field to pass and he just had happy feet.

#15 halsey

halsey

Pro Bowler

• Pure Football
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 18,264 posts

Posted 22 June 2008 - 06:00 PM

A QB who can get the ball out of his hand quickly and spread defenses out makes his O-line's job easier. People who understand football know this. Will Ryan be able to do that in the NFL? Hope so. NFL teams thought Joey Harrington, Byron Leftwich, Michael Vick and Chris Redman would be able to when they were drafted. I'm not taking it for granted that Ryan will be one of the 15 QB's in the NFL who will legitimatly be an above average starter at any given time over the course of his career. If he is, the Falcons chances of winning a Super Bowl go up significantly.

#16 consistentfalcon

consistentfalcon

Starting Lineup

• Pure Football
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3,669 posts

Posted 22 June 2008 - 06:01 PM

swiftkick (6/22/2008)
He has the football smarts to get the ball out of his hand and read the defense. This is something Michael Vick did not comprehend and the same with Harrington and the wind up motion of Bryon Leftwich . These incable QBS lead to numerous unwanted sacks. I always said a great QB who understands the game makes his oline better . Of course our oline needs work but having a QB like Ryan who from everyone says has all the intagaibles and the work ethic will only improve our oline . I bet when we see him play our sacks will drop drastically . He might go through his rookie struggles but holding onto the ball is not one of them

where can i get me some of that hallucinogen

#17 Ryan Supporter

Ryan Supporter

Practice Squad

• Forum Members
  • Pip
  • 14 posts

Posted 22 June 2008 - 06:16 PM

Mr Hokie andf Falcon, u are prolly the least football knowledgeable idiot I've ever read posts by.  You did a better job of screwing DaddyPrimetime.

#18 Chitown2ATL_Falcon

Chitown2ATL_Falcon

Starting Lineup

• Forum Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,731 posts

Posted 22 June 2008 - 06:29 PM

swiftkick (6/22/2008)

j105 (6/22/2008)

I wouldn't call Alex Gibbs a "guru" unless you're maybe talking about zone blocking.  His offensive lines were designed for running not pass blocking effectively.

#19 KOOPFALCON

KOOPFALCON

Practice Squad

• Forum Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 22 June 2008 - 06:38 PM

THE FALCONS GONNA SUCK FOR MANY YEARS TO COME. I BEEN A FAN OF THE FALCONS FOR 19YRS AND ALL I SEE FROM YEAR TO YEAR IS A UNDERACHEIVING SEASON OVER AND OVER AGAIN I'M SICK AND TIRED OF WATCHING THESE LOSERS LET ME KNOW IF THEY WIN A SUPERBOWL.

#20 swiftkick

swiftkick

Starting Lineup

• Banned Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,565 posts

Posted 22 June 2008 - 06:39 PM

KOOPFALCON (6/22/2008)
THE FALCONS GONNA SUCK FOR MANY YEARS TO COME. I BEEN A FAN OF THE FALCONS FOR 19YRS AND ALL I SEE FROM YEAR TO YEAR IS A UNDERACHEIVING SEASON OVER AND OVER AGAIN I'M SICK AND TIRED OF WATCHING THESE LOSERS LET ME KNOW IF THEY WIN A SUPERBOWL.

your   caps lock is on bro