Where did Matt Ryan's nickname "Ice" come from?

- - - - -

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
22 replies to this topic

#1 .WP

.WP

OGBARBERSHOP

• Forum Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4,788 posts

Posted 14 June 2008 - 03:28 PM

Sorry if I  missed anything, but where did the nickname come from?

Is it from his days in BC, something implemented by the media or was it something started at the boards?

I feel dumb asking this, as I see it used all the time (in fact, I use the nickname myself) but I have never figured out where it came from.

:blush:

#2 GEORGIAfan

GEORGIAfan

FalconsLiIFE'S HOMER

• Pure Football
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,732 posts

Posted 14 June 2008 - 03:30 PM

i think high school or BC days. its not from us.

#3 ATLFalcon36

ATLFalcon36

True Falcon

• Pure Football
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,360 posts

Posted 14 June 2008 - 03:31 PM

Supposedly it came from HS or college b/c when the pressure was on and the game was on the line they said ice ran through Matt Ryan's veins because he always remained calm and composed

#4 miKevicK777

miKevicK777

Starting Lineup

• Forum Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,641 posts

Posted 14 June 2008 - 03:31 PM

he stuffs ice cubes down his pants after every victory

#5 Goodoleboy58

Goodoleboy58

Awesome

• Pure Football
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,232 posts

Posted 14 June 2008 - 03:33 PM

Matty-Ice

Natty Ice you do the math

#6 GEORGIAfan

GEORGIAfan

FalconsLiIFE'S HOMER

• Pure Football
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,732 posts

Posted 14 June 2008 - 03:39 PM

Goodoleboy58 (6/14/2008)
Matty-Ice

is he gonna get bro raped??

it does have explicit language and adult toys.

#7 Big Duke 6

Big Duke 6

Veteran Falcon

• Forum Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,047 posts

Posted 14 June 2008 - 03:41 PM

Goodoleboy58 (6/14/2008)
Matty-Ice

He was filter brewed?:w00t:

#8 .WP

.WP

OGBARBERSHOP

• Forum Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4,788 posts

Posted 14 June 2008 - 03:47 PM

Goodoleboy58 (6/14/2008)
Matty-Ice

Hopefully he won't be anywhere near the beer...quality-wise I mean ;)

#9 The Don™

The Don™

Pro Bowler

• Pure Football
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,062 posts

Posted 14 June 2008 - 03:55 PM

(after the comeback drive vs. VT)

this video says it all

#10 Wild Bill

Wild Bill

If you can't hunt with the big birds, stay off my perch!

• Pure Football
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,556 posts

Posted 14 June 2008 - 03:56 PM

http://fredericksbur...37028?rss=local

'Matty Ice' stays on fire COLLEGE FOOTBALL

-

Boston College's Matt Ryan threw 28 touchdowns this season, but it was his last-minute TD tosses that won key games against Virginia Tech and Clemson that fans remember.

ACC Report

Date published: 11/29/2007

BY JIM McCONNELL

He's one of the top candidates for college football's most prestigious individual award. He stands to make millions as a first-round selection in April's NFL draft. He even has a catchy nickname and his own Web site.

But what makes Matt Ryan truly special is his ability to convince teammates that as long as there's time on the clock, he will find a way to win.

"Our mentality on defense is, 'Give Matt another chance. Give Matt another chance,'" Boston College safety Jamie Silva said. "It's great having him on the other side of the ball. We feel like he can score on defenses at any time."

Not since Doug Flutie's Heisman Trophy season of 1984 have Boston College football fans given over their hearts to such a cool, clutch quarterback. Like NFL Hall of Famers Joe Montana and John Elway, the 6-foot-5 Ryan actually seems to become larger than life when the pressure is greatest.

"He's a quarterback that can make the throws when they count," said Virginia Tech coach Frank Beamer, whose sixth-ranked Hokies (10-2) will face Ryan and No. 11 Boston College (10-2) for the ACC championship Saturday at Jacksonville Municipal Stadium.

"Good quarterbacks welcome those moments, welcome that challenge in the last few minutes of a ball game. I think he does."

Two games this season have cemented the legend of a guy Boston College knows as "Matty Ice."

On Oct. 25 in Blacksburg, the combination of Virginia Tech's ferocious pass rush and a driving rain combined to keep Boston College off the scoreboard for nearly 58 minutes. But Ryan calmly engineered two late drives and threw two touchdown passes in the final 2:11, including a 24-yarder to tailback Andre Callender with 11 seconds left, as Boston College stunned the Hokies 14-10 to remain unbeaten.

"He showed me so much in that game," Virginia Tech linebacker Xavier Adibi said. "He showed great poise, a lot of determination, great leadership. He's the heart of their football team."

Only after he got back to the sideline did the emotion of the moment finally get the best of Ryan, whose vomiting was replayed countless times on national highlight shows.

"Everybody was just asking me if I was all right. When I said I was, that was the extent of it," Ryan said. "I don't think some of the guys even knew until they saw it on TV."

Less than a month later, Ryan made Clemson fans sick with another gut-wrenching comeback. Trailing the Tigers 17-13 with five minutes remaining in a battle for the ACC's Atlantic Division title, Ryan silenced the boisterous Death Valley crowd by hitting Rich Gunnell for a 43-yard touchdown pass that clinched Boston College's berth in the conference championship game.

#11 bossFALCON™

bossFALCON™

^^^this man will be a BEAST in the pros^^^

• Pure Football
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 22,336 posts

Posted 14 June 2008 - 04:04 PM

he got it in highschool because he was clutched. he hated the name and when he got to BC he thought nobody would know about the name, but one of his teammates from highschool went to BC and started calling him matty ice all over again. now it has followed him to the NFL.

#12 Wild Bill

Wild Bill

If you can't hunt with the big birds, stay off my perch!

• Pure Football
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,556 posts

Posted 15 June 2008 - 05:15 AM

bossFALCON"! (6/14/2008)
he got it in highschool because he was clutched. he hated the name and when he got to BC he thought nobody would know about the name, but one of his teammates from highschool went to BC and started calling him matty ice all over again. now it has followed him to the NFL.

I didn't know that.  That's interesting.  It sounds just like a group of High School friends to do something like that. :laugh:

#13 ancient raptor

ancient raptor

Roster Player

• Pure Football
  • PipPipPip
  • 702 posts

Posted 15 June 2008 - 06:27 AM

Wish it would go back wherever it came from.

#14 WVUDirtyBird

WVUDirtyBird

Starting Lineup

• Forum Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,058 posts

Posted 15 June 2008 - 07:37 AM

The name doesn't fit.  Natty Ice is really really cheap, and Matt was very very expensive.

#15 millenium falcon

millenium falcon

ultimate top notch super powerful mighty hero falcon

• Forum Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,107 posts

Posted 15 June 2008 - 09:34 AM

he got the name in high school for being clutch, but the resurfacing of matty ice in college was first due to matty's brutal beating of the waterboy for not putting ice in his gatorade. all the team mates called him matty ice after that because of his insane need for ice in his beverage's. it was later discovered that he had previously been called the very same thing in high school, to which a former high school student who came to BC said, "matty ice, they still call him that? how lame." i dont know why we call him matty ice here. why? did he beat up the water boy again or was he clutch at like the end of practice?

#16 consistentfalcon

consistentfalcon

Starting Lineup

• Pure Football
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3,669 posts

Posted 15 June 2008 - 09:41 AM

genn0226 (6/14/2008)
Sorry if I missed anything, but where did the nickname come from?

Is it from his days in BC, something implemented by the media or was it something started at the boards?

I feel dumb asking this, as I see it used all the time (in fact, I use the nickname myself) but I have never figured out where it came from.

i think it a suggestion that he freezes up under pressure

#17 millenium falcon

millenium falcon

ultimate top notch super powerful mighty hero falcon

• Forum Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,107 posts

Posted 15 June 2008 - 09:46 AM

another report says that even though he threw 19 ints. instead of being all P/Oed he was cool as ice like, "thats cool we'll just score a TD next time, we still have 1:37 left in the game."

#18 Abe

Abe

Starting Lineup

• Pure Football
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3,090 posts

Posted 15 June 2008 - 10:33 AM

HE DIDN'T EVEN GET IT FROM FOOTBALL!  HE SAID HE GOT IT IN BASEBALL.

#19 TeamPlayer

TeamPlayer

Rookie

• Forum Members
  • PipPip
  • 208 posts

Posted 15 June 2008 - 11:26 AM

he stuffs ice cubes down his pants after every victory

I cant say what I might believe, but if falcons make the playoffs this year, God's in love with me

If that's the case, I hope we need lot's of ice!!!

#20 dozer

dozer

Starting Lineup

• Pure Football
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,249 posts

Posted 15 June 2008 - 12:28 PM

consistentfalcon (6/15/2008)

genn0226 (6/14/2008)
Sorry if I missed anything, but where did the nickname come from?

i think it a suggestion that he freezes up under pressure

Quite the contrary clown