JDaveG

New fitness thread!

1,836 posts in this topic

JDaveG (12/8/2007)
1.5 hours jiu jitsu. Brutal class, just because I'm badly out of shape from missing class since right before Thanksgiving. Will go again Tuesday and hope to do better.

Is it a lot of sparring your classes? I would love to start training for jiu jitsu. Is flexability a big factor?

when i started liftin and working out 5 mos. ago my 3 goals were to be able to military press a keg, check on that. be able to bench 315 by mo. 6, almost their probably at 305 max, by year 1, bench 405.

MidWest Falcon (12/8/2007)
Is it a lot of sparring your classes? I would love to start training for jiu jitsu. Is flexability a big factor?

There's live rolling (sparring) at the end of every class. Flexibility is a factor, but you'll get it as you go along. Some guys are REALLY flexible, and others are not.

Yeh the more I thought about it the more I realized you don't have to be very flexible to be effective. To me there's BJ Penn who is a freak when it comes to flexability. Then you have "The Snowman" Jeff Monson is is built like the incredible hulk. Either way it sounds like a lot of fun. Is it something you can get into without any background at all?

MidWest Falcon (12/8/2007)
Yeh the more I thought about it the more I realized you don't have to be very flexible to be effective. To me there's BJ Penn who is a freak when it comes to flexability. Then you have "The Snowman" Jeff Monson is is built like the incredible hulk. Either way it sounds like a lot of fun. Is it something you can get into without any background at all?

Exactly, and absolutely, you're probably better off not having any background at all unless it is Judo or Wrestling.

The problem with lack of flexibility is that, like lack of strength, it leaves you vulnerable to certain techniques and you have to be aware of that and work to avoid being caught in them. Someone who is really inflexible, for example, would be in a world of hurt if he got stacked from the guard, or fell into a crotch ripper.

It's just too much fun not to do. PM me and tell me where you live and I'll poke around and see if I can find a good gym nearby. From your screenname, I assume you are not in the ATL.

EDIT: looked up your profile. You have a PM, and you're gonna laugh.

In between the 12 hour bouts of studying every day this past week I managed to get in the gym a couple times. Probably do arms and run on nearby mountain range tomorrow afternoon before hittin the books.

ty down (12/7/2007)
I hope you guys don't mind, but I failed my goal today of 3500 feet of brush trimming.

I also had to eat beanie weenies b/c we were across a river and the brush was thick with

wild grape vines everywhere. We, my co-worker and I only cut 2400 feet.

My question is sometimes we eat tuna on white bread and sometimes it's those ****

little sausages. Is there any ideas on healthy foods that can be stored, that I can take in remote places. Keep in mind fulfilling and wholesome, that keep in cool or warm temps?

Someone already mentioned PB&J on wheat, and the tuna. Also, the chicken that comes in a pouch, packed in water, is good. I've done a pasta salad made with wheat pasta and Italian dressing. I put it in the freezer the night before, carried it with me, and it stayed cool enough for several hours.

If you have a Trader Joe's near you, pop in and ask them for recommendations. Or Whole Foods, or whatever you have nearby.

Do you have a way to carry anything while you work? A lunch bag with a cold-pack would give you lots of options.

MidWest Falcon (12/7/2007)

Well I'm not going anorexic or anything....For example: Instead of eating a foot long sub I'm eating a 6 inch sub. Instead of the huge chicken breast I will cut it in half. Americans portion sizes are way too big anyways. We are used to eating more than one serving when we sit down to eat. I'm trying to teach my body to eat regular servings and still feel full. I'm able to eat a lot and it's a transition that will take some getting used to but I will be able to do it ;)

You can definitely do it! That's what I have been doing. When I'm out, I get a box as soon as I get my entree. I immediately put half away, b/c I know I won't eat it from the box at the table. Either that or order a smaller portion. Some places will do it, some won't. Our portions are way out of control.

And if you haven't already, you will probably have people criticizing your choices, accusing you of an eating disorder, etc. Ignore them. Your body will let you know if it truly needs more fuel.

snake (12/10/2007)
Man, its nice out there. Rode the road bike 20 miles, easy, flat, then jumped off and ran 2.2 miles in 18 minutes. Gotta keep it up as the holiday parties continue on.

It is a beautiful day. I'm glad I was out of the office most of the day (out of towners are MUCH more fun on days like today).

Wish I could've gotten a run in, but no dice. I'll hit the gym tomorrow for a jiu jitsu class.

JDaveG (12/10/2007)
snake (12/10/2007)
Man, its nice out there. Rode the road bike 20 miles, easy, flat, then jumped off and ran 2.2 miles in 18 minutes. Gotta keep it up as the holiday parties continue on.

It is a beautiful day. I'm glad I was out of the office most of the day (out of towners are MUCH more fun on days like today).

Wish I could've gotten a run in, but no dice. I'll hit the gym tomorrow for a jiu jitsu class.

Freezing rain all day :( Had to hit up the treadmill. Hey JDave I went to the gym today and their rate was like 60 a month and I can train Jiu Jitsu and MMA for no extra cost. How much did you say I could get a gui for? **wasn't sure how to spell gui ;) **

MidWest Falcon (12/10/2007)
Freezing rain all day :( Had to hit up the treadmill. Hey JDave I went to the gym today and their rate was like 60 a month and I can train Jiu Jitsu and MMA for no extra cost. How much did you say I could get a gui for? **wasn't sure how to spell gui ;) **

Man, that is a GREAT rate!

I think I said $80, but it looks like they may have gone up a smidge (note, jiu jitsu guys usually call them "kimonos," but I think that's gay, and it's not Thursday, so I am one of the Knights who say "gi" :P).

My first and still favorite gi is an Ouano. John makes a fantastic product, and mine has lasted over 2 years and still going strong. It looks like their prices are now over $100:

http://www.ouano.com/kimonos.htm

I'd recommend a Howard Combat Kimono. You can get the regular single or the Competition Single, but the Comp. Single is DEFINITELY worth the extra $$$. Standard bleached white single is $70, and the Comp. Single is $100. I'd get the Competition personally. You'll get years of use out of it.

http://www.howardliu.com/catalog/bjj/single.htm

http://www.howardliu.com/catalog/bjj/comp_s.htm

My other gi (other than the Ouano) is a Gameness. The patches are a bit flashy for most folks, but it is an outstanding gi. I have the Platinum, but you can also look at the Pearl, which is very nice and doesn't have all the patches everywhere. Plat is $135 and the Pearl is $110. I got my Plat for right at $100, but it was a great deal.

http://www.gameness.com/gear.htm#

EDIT: Forgot to mention, both of mine are blue. My next gi is either a white Gracie Barra competition gi or a white Machado hybrid weave (leaning toward the Machado). Because I need some tradition in my life :P

http://www.budovideos.com/shop/customer/pr...834&cat=&page=1

http://www.mkimonos.com/mkwhhy.html

Dang i dont know what im going to do when i get back to the states, over here as long as you have an ID to get on base you can use the gym, or should i say gyms since theres multiple bases and all of them are pretty much state of the art. Geez better start saving up:(

work out tomorrow morning....legs/back/abs/swimming

then off to 16 hours of studying...livin the dream fellas, livin the dream

Hey Midwest. When you start up a martial arts program or system its imperative that you thnk abt skills your looking for as your CORE art. What you start in is not necessarily written in stone to what you'll advance in, but its extremely important to watch class's, talk to the students and get some idea's from them. Its very important to choose a Dojo or fighting system that fits You as well. For example, I started Tae Kwon Do, I did so while I was wrestling in High school. I wanted the balance, flexibility and mind set of the Koreans to go with my ground skills. You could say my Core was the ground, and then I add'd the Feet skills afterwards. Real important to judge what you think fits You. Judo for example is a great in close art. Ju Jitsu and Aikedo as well. Your age and fitness level need evaluating as well. Can you see yourself gut wrenching and hammering away on the ground. Or, should you start with an art that keeps you on your feet, toughening you up, then proceed to the ground? MMA fighting is extremely hard on you as is Ju jitsu. You gotta realize with it you will get hurt, bruised and be incapacitated at times. Just food for thought. Stick with what ever you chose and practice in your mind, at home and develop your art by making it a committment.

Well I just finished up playing 5 years of football out here in Kansas. I played middle linebacker and strated the last 2 years I played there. I got beat up a lot so I think that should have me prepared for the jiu jitsu and mma classes.

Thanks, the best part about this gym is that they offer the jiu jitsu class and the mma class and I do not have to pay extra for them. I can train for both of them. I still haven't decided if I'm going to do it or not. I'm a teacher and I coach basketball. We practice till 5:30 every day and the classes start at 6 so I am trying to figure out if I want to be that busy or not ;) It is such a good deal though so I don't think i can pass up on it.

JDave thanks for all the info BTW.

I think I'm going to sit in on a jiu jitsu class tonight and see how I like it.

MidWest Falcon (12/12/2007)
Thanks, the best part about this gym is that they offer the jiu jitsu class and the mma class and I do not have to pay extra for them. I can train for both of them. I still haven't decided if I'm going to do it or not. I'm a teacher and I coach basketball. We practice till 5:30 every day and the classes start at 6 so I am trying to figure out if I want to be that busy or not ;) It is such a good deal though so I don't think i can pass up on it.

JDave thanks for all the info BTW.

I think I'm going to sit in on a jiu jitsu class tonight and see how I like it.

No problem, and you're gonna like it. It's addictive.

I perscribe to the Herschel Walker training philosophy. No weights, all natural.

Just turned 40 and to be honest, I'm in such good shape that I make myself horny.

So I am thinking of possibly joining a gym to get my butt in shape. My question is this.. Are there any Gyms out there that I dont have to join for a specific time and can cost about $20 per month? I went to an American Bodyworks and they were $150 to join and $30 a month thereafter. It seemed like a very nice place but I'd like it to be a little cheaper. Any suggestions?

Shiney_McShine (12/13/2007)
Mods can we please pin this thread? pretty, pretty please???

SIR YES SIR!!!!

Thank You Shiney!!!!!

Well, after being unable to do TKD Club at my college (due to school/personal reasons...mostly school...plus being BURNT OUT!), I am pretty out of shape right now.

BUT! I am going to the gym almost every day with my mom.

Today I did 10 minutes of elliptical.

30 min of legs

20 min of arms

15 min of abs.

Whoo.

I'm SO out of shape.

Shiney_McShine (12/13/2007)
Mods can we please pin this thread? pretty, pretty please???

SIR YES SIR!!!!

Thanks for the pin, Shiney! I wish I had something to add this week, but it's been busy, and I haven't trained at all since Saturday. I'll be back at it this coming Saturday.

Woke up this morning, killed a bear with my hands ( he was going through my garbage.)

Having remembered an old grudge,I sought out Royce Gracie. After chasing him for 12.3 miles through some pretty hilly terrain, I beat him like a circus monkey, and did a handstand over his prone body. I decided I liked the scenery that way so I walked home on my hands.

I forgot what I did after 7 AM though.