JDaveG

New fitness thread!

1,840 posts in this topic

JDaveG (12/5/2007)
Vargil (12/5/2007)
Actually, I'd do exactly those things. It won't be that taxing a workout, but as I noted above, I do pullups every night. There's no real good way to train them except to do them. If you can't do 1 pullup, start by doing negatives (stand on a chair with your arms bent and then step off the chair and SLOWLY lower yourself from the top position to the bottom, then repeat 5-10 times). You can also put your feet in the chair behind you with your knees bent, and do the pullups with assistance from your legs (hope that gives you an adequate picture of what I mean). You might try running for time instead of distance, but if you have to go 300 meters and 1.5 miles, you might as well just start with those distances and try to improve your times.

well i want to drop the weight more then anything.

JDaveG (12/5/2007)
40 minutes on the elliptical, 2 sets pullups/dips. 3.29 miles, 460 calories burned on the elliptical. Pullups are feeling better lately, probably because I've been doing 1 set before bed every night.

Are you hitting 40 minutes in 1 session? Since I bought the elliptical I try to do between 45 to 60 minutes per day on it but its no more than 15 minutes per session. I dont think I could pull off 40 minutes in 1 session right now. 20 minutes may be possible. I am definitely green when it comes to how to properly do this. Thanks for any advice.

falconskill (12/5/2007)
JDaveG (12/5/2007)
40 minutes on the elliptical, 2 sets pullups/dips. 3.29 miles, 460 calories burned on the elliptical. Pullups are feeling better lately, probably because I've been doing 1 set before bed every night.

Are you hitting 40 minutes in 1 session? Since I bought the elliptical I try to do between 45 to 60 minutes per day on it but its no more than 15 minutes per session. I dont think I could pull off 40 minutes in 1 session right now. 20 minutes may be possible. I am definitely green when it comes to how to properly do this. Thanks for any advice.

Right now I am topping at about 12 minutes per, but I am just getting back on the horse. Also what are you using to do pull-ups?

falconskill (12/5/2007)

That's all in 1 bite, yes. It takes a bit of time. On the old Board, you could actually go through my running training from when I was running 1 minute and walking 4, and repeating that 6 total times to get a 30 minute run. Now I can run 3.1 miles in the same amount of time.

It's mostly mental, if that helps. Your brain tells you to quit LONG before your body actually has to quit. So learning to run through those walls is hard. The elliptical is even worse, because (for example) halfway through today's workout, my thighs were burning big time. It works different muscle groups in different ways than running. Just hang in there. Shoot for 20 minutes next time, then do that for a couple of weeks, then 25, then 30, etc. I've done an hour at a time on the elliptical before. I've never run on the road for more than 40 minutes straight, though. I'm working on changing that now.

we take the Army PT test as part of our Physical proficiency. I made a 237 on it. 71 pushups (100), 57 situps (67), 15:09 run (70). that's about all the PT that I do.

ki45toryu (12/5/2007)
How far was that run? 1.5 miles?

2 miles, and the pushups and situps are done in a 2 minute time limit... I could do more pushups or situps than the timelimit would allow but I'm ok with maxing the test in around 90 secodns.

....Surfing, im not trying to compare it to some of the stuff you guys do but after spending 3-4 hours in big swells and cold waters...I can barley stand when I finally get to the beach.

tipp78 (12/5/2007)
....Surfing, im not trying to compare it to some of the stuff you guys do but after spending 3-4 hours in big swells and cold waters...I can barley stand when I finally get to the beach.

No doubt...it is very taxing on the body. Your core body temp rises, increasing metabolism to keep pace.

falconskill (12/5/2007)
JDaveG (12/5/2007)
40 minutes

The girl in your sig is smoking.

JDaveG (12/5/2007)
That's all in 1 bite, yes. It takes a bit of time. On the old Board, you could actually go through my running training from when I was running 1 minute and walking 4, and repeating that 6 total times to get a 30 minute run. Now I can run 3.1 miles in the same amount of time.

It's mostly mental, if that helps. Your brain tells you to quit LONG before your body actually has to quit. So learning to run through those walls is hard. The elliptical is even worse, because (for example) halfway through today's workout, my thighs were burning big time. It works different muscle groups in different ways than running. Just hang in there. Shoot for 20 minutes next time, then do that for a couple of weeks, then 25, then 30, etc. I've done an hour at a time on the elliptical before. I've never run on the road for more than 40 minutes straight, though. I'm working on changing that now.

wow. that's not too bad actually. I've been on runs for about an hour straight though (about 7 miles down to the Charleston battery (tip of the peninsula)) and like I feel like killing myslef it hurts so bad when I'm done. but yeah, it's all mental. now, I'm never gonna do a marathon cause that's just too long but a training run is always good to do. if oyu think you can only do 1.5 straight. attempt 2. you'll be surpised. but if you have to run a certain distance in a certain time. go for the idea of timed pace, AND extra distance. for examnple, we have to run the 2 mile in 15:54, so what I do is run 3 miles in 24 minutes. it sucks majorly sometimes but once I feel comfortable I shoot for 23 minutes. once I'm at a 23 minute 3 mile, I can do the 15:00 2 mile that I want. it's all about goals. Also, don't just run, and don't just do ellipticals, do swims, crunches, pushups... everything. you'll look better overall and having muscle underneath the fat will always help. my suggestion for a weekly workout plan and what I do (then again I'm 19 with no major injuries in my life):

M--W--F (upper body - run)

100 pushups

100 dips (where you are on parallel bars and dip your body down. good weight resistance. idea is to use your own body weight for training.)

100 straight crunches

3 miles run

T--TH--Sat (abs-lower body - alternate cardio)

100 situps

100 left side crunches

100 right side crunches

30 minutes of basketball, swiming laps or another highly active carido activity (backyard football is awesome for this too)

3 minutes of 25 yard sprints (try to get in about 30-40 sprints. but do as many as you can.)

Sun

watch Football, rest day for everything, play chess, i don't really care what else. haha

but yeah, this works for me. you lose a lot of weight (I lost around 50 pounds knob year doign this) and when you gain weight back it's in muscle, now if you wanna do gym lifts, that's on you but I don't even lift in the gym and I may not looked jacked but I don't look liek a weakling either.

Ok, so I'm a teacher and I get a 30 minute lunch everyday. Lately I've been eating PB & J's on whole wheat bread. I have also been eating Triscuts with my PB & J as well. I eat this because it is a quick lunch to make since I have a limited time to eat. Is this a healthy lunch or not. I have not had a carbonated drink in 2 weeks as well. This really sucks because I'm a big fan of beer. I'm trying to "talk the talk" and "walk the walk" since I'm a physical educatuion teacher. What are some (healthy) quick and easy ideas for lunch? I'm going to start implementing more fruit. I have also started taking a "one a day" multi vitamin. Thanks, MidWest Falcon

scar988 (12/6/2007)
Also, don't just run, and don't just do ellipticals, do swims, crunches, pushups... everything. you'll look better overall and having muscle underneath the fat will always help. my suggestion for a weekly workout plan and what I do (then again I'm 19 with no major injuries in my life):

That looks like a good routine. The stuff from the old board didn't carry over, and I've been out of pocket with work a lot lately, but I typically run or do elliptical 2-3 times a week, and train martial arts (either Brazilian Jiu Jitsu or Muay Thai) 2-3 times a week. Combine that with 1 set of pullups and pushups every night, and I'm actually whipping into pretty decent shape.

Now if I could stick to a decent diet......had a bacon cheeseburger and fries for lunch and pizza for dinner today. ICK! I'm going to have to eat bird food tomorrow AND get into the gym Saturday, and I want to do a long run Sunday, but I may not have time.

MidWest Falcon (12/6/2007)
Ok, so I'm a teacher and I get a 30 minute lunch everyday. Lately I've been eating PB & J's on whole wheat bread. I have also been eating Triscuts with my PB & J as well. I eat this because it is a quick lunch to make since I have a limited time to eat. Is this a healthy lunch or not. I have not had a carbonated drink in 2 weeks as well. This really sucks because I'm a big fan of beer. I'm trying to "talk the talk" and "walk the walk" since I'm a physical educatuion teacher. What are some (healthy) quick and easy ideas for lunch? I'm going to start implementing more fruit. I have also started taking a "one a day" multi vitamin. Thanks, MidWest Falcon

Quick and easy...

You gotta define quick, because it would be quick to grill up(on a Foreman for instance) about 10 chicken breasts on a Sunday while the TV is on or something, then throw them into a tupperware container.

You can haul one of those with your lunch straight up...or get a bag of romaine lettuce and make a caesar salad for lunch. You simply chop up a chicken breast in the morning, put it, some romaine lettuce, and a dressing of your choice in a different tupperware container. Bring it with your lunch.

Skip, if you can, the snacky things like the triscuits. Any sort of carb, even triscuits, are essentially calories that will not usually be used for energy unless you are running 40 minutes/day.

Keep the sandwich...thats cool...but add in a fibrous veggie like that salad I mentioned as a side. Fruit is better than the triscuits, but you can actually get fat on fruits. Still, they are much more nutrient dense than any carb snack food you will find. So if you do decide on fruit, buy smaller fruits....so when you eat them you are consuming less calories. Like small apples and oranges.

For your PB, it is better that you purchase a peanut butter than has no trans fats...there are some natural PB's out there that dont have that thick oil layer...you just gotta look a little at the regular grocer. The jelly, I buy usually the no sugar added ones...which dont use fake sugars but dont have anything added like normal jellies. Solid alternative.

Try turkey/chicken breast with your favorite toppings(yeah cheese is perfectly fine) as an alternative every couple days to the old class PBJ.

Thanks a lot. Those are some great ideas. I'm really trying to cut the calories down and increase the nutrient rich foods that I eat. The grilled chicken brest idea is very good and I will definately be doing that. I will also look for the natural PB and I will look for a better jelly. Thanks a lot.

MidWest Falcon (12/7/2007)
Thanks a lot. Those are some great ideas. I'm really trying to cut the calories down and increase the nutrient rich foods that I eat. The grilled chicken brest idea is very good and I will definately be doing that. I will also look for the natural PB and I will look for a better jelly. Thanks a lot.

Any time...any time.

Well boys in just 2 weeks I'm seeing the results of my diet and exercise.

I was 232 lbs and today I weighed 228. My goal is 200 so I've got 28 more pounds to go.

The hardest part of all of this is being hungry a lot. I used to just eat whenever but I'm limiting myself to breakfast, lunch, dinner, and my snacks are fruit. I hope I get used to it very soon. I'm going to have to implement a cheat day here pretty soon though.

I hope you guys don't mind, but I failed my goal today of 3500 feet of brush trimming.

I also had to eat beanie weenies b/c we were across a river and the brush was thick with

wild grape vines everywhere. We, my co-worker and I only cut 2400 feet.

My question is sometimes we eat tuna on white bread and sometimes it's those ****

little sausages. Is there any ideas on healthy foods that can be stored, that I can take in remote places. Keep in mind fulfilling and wholesome, that keep in cool or warm temps?

Nooo...the sausages gotcha again huh?

Sandwiches, like the aforementioned PBJ hold up well. On wheat.

Tuna is great actually...very very high in protein and omega 3 fatty acids.

Triscuits and Wheat thins are a decent 'side' to one of those sammiches.

GO SOONERS!!!! (12/7/2007)
i eat when im hungry. i just dont stuff.

Well I'm not going anorexic or anything....For example: Instead of eating a foot long sub I'm eating a 6 inch sub. Instead of the huge chicken breast I will cut it in half. Americans portion sizes are way too big anyways. We are used to eating more than one serving when we sit down to eat. I'm trying to teach my body to eat regular servings and still feel full. I'm able to eat a lot and it's a transition that will take some getting used to but I will be able to do it ;)

ty down (12/7/2007)
My question is sometimes we eat tuna on white bread and sometimes it's those ****

little sausages. Is there any ideas on healthy foods that can be stored, that I can take in remote places. Keep in mind fulfilling and wholesome, that keep in cool or warm temps?

Stick with the beanie weenies. They have a 4 million year half-life.

1.5 hours jiu jitsu. Brutal class, just because I'm badly out of shape from missing class since right before Thanksgiving. Will go again Tuesday and hope to do better.